Port of Moroni
Union des Comores
The port of Moroni consists of a small quay in a natural cove and lacks natural protection for shipping. Vanilla, cacao, and coffee are exported from the port, whose facilities include warehouse storage for imports and exports and for petroleum products.
Moroni’s industries manufacture soft drinks, processed and distilled essential oils, metal and wood products, and processed pozzolana (cement).
Despite the presence of modern-style office buildings, Moroni retains a traditional Arabic appearance. The city has numerous mosques, including Chiounda, a pilgrimage centre.
Roads link Moroni with the coastal towns of Hahaia to the north and Mitsoudje to the south, and an international airport is nearby.
Moroni, coastal town, capital, and largest settlement of Comoros, southwestern Grande Comore (also called Njazidja) island in the Indian Ocean. It was founded by Arabic-speaking settlers, possibly as early as the 10th century ad. Dzaoudzi, the principal city of the island of Mayotte, was the original administrative capital of Comoros, but Moroni succeeded it in 1958.
Water location: Mozambique Channel
Anchorage depth: 21.6m - 22.9m
Cargo pier depth: 3.4m - 4.6m
Oil terminal depth: 3.4m - 4.6m
Dry dock: N/A
Harbor size: Very Small
Railway size: N/A
Harbor type: Open Roadstead
Max size: Up to 500 feet in length